[Mpc-discuss] Clarification of libmpc major bump

Andreas Enge andreas.enge at inria.fr
Mon Oct 22 19:44:55 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 03:33:22PM -0200, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
>   Sorry for a probably very simple question, but what is a simple
> reasoning for the library major bump?
>   I suspect it should be mainly due to mpc_{div,mul}_2exp rename,
> and possibly behavior change due to bug corrections.

Only the former, the latter would not imply a soname change. I admit it
was slightly wreckless, since it would have been trivial to add a
#define for the old names. But I felt that reaching the 1.0 release, we
were entitled to make this one incompatible change and not be bothered
with compatibility layers.

Debian hit the same problem before, since mpc is needed to build the tool-
chain and keeping two separate packages appeared to be the clean solution.
In Debian, the suggested solution was to upload a package with a numerical
version name component (something like mpclib2, for instance).

Andreas