[Pharo-compiler] State of the compiler

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Tue Apr 13 09:41:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

So JB, Jorge and myself are working on getting the compile going.
Last week saw some progress:

	-> Work on IRBuilder and BytecodeDecompiler (JB).
	     We can de-compile the whole image to IR. If it's correct, that's the other question ;-)
             Next step: round trip BC->IR->BC
	-> Test Cleanup. Now many tests are green, especially those of IRBuilder, ByecodeBuilder
             and the one testing the full compiler on real-world code. esp. the last is great, as this means
             we can start to work on Reflectivity soon in parallel.
	-> General cleanups. Started to remove old non-closure and old closure code.

We will continue this week.

TODO:
	-> fix IR to do pop-combining
	-> get roundtrip BC<->IR working... not much missing.
			-> add tests for IRBuilder for closures
			-> test for BytecodeDecompiler

Later:
	-> Move all analysis code from the AST-Node extensions into a visitor similar to
             ASTChecker.
	-> Improve the Compiler API of Pharo / make newcompiler easy to integrate
	-> Decompiler IR -> RBAST
	-> Get it to work with PetitParser
	-> ByteSurgeon

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.