[Pharo-project] Speeding up Finder string search

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:20:51 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Stefan Marr <smalltalk at stefan-marr.de>wrote:

> Hi:
>
> On 17 Jan 2012, at 09:47, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Stefan, another approach would be to store the source code in the
> compiled method trailer.
> Looks like everything is there already, but it does not seem to work
> stable enough.

Yes, that was pretty much the same idea I got when I tried it.

> With the code below, this should work: (do not apply the change to
> getSourceFromFile!!)
> -------------
> |trailer source m |
> m := (Gofer>>#load).
> trailer := m trailer.
> source := m getSource.
> trailer sourceCode: source.
> m recompileWithTrailer: trailer.
> -------------

If you don't bother about being slow, you can also make it much easier:

|trailer source m |
m := (Gofer>>#load).
trailer := m trailer.
source := m getSource.
trailer sourceCode: source.
m becomeForward: (m copyWithTrailerBytes: trailer)

and if you want to do it for the whole image you can use one bulk become
and it will be fast.

I will experiment and see if it is working.

> > PS: I will interested if you do it :)
> In return, I would really appreciate if you could learn a bit about
> etiquette and quoting
> http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html#SECTION00090000000000000000

99% of the cases I answer where I have to answer (like I am doing now).
But sometimes if my answer is obvious, I think it is much easier a top
posting than having to quote your email.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com