[Cado-nfs-discuss] factoring guidance

Zimmermann Paul Paul.Zimmermann at loria.fr
Wed Jun 22 22:10:13 CEST 2011

       Jim,

> In the documentation I see “Factoring a number of 160 digits will
> require 6 to 7 months on one core.”
>
> Is there a reliable forecasting calculation for 155 digits on 256
> cores? If Im specifying –t 256 can I expect a linear performance
> increase from a single core?
>
> Thanks
>
> -jim

I am currently factoring a 150-digit number. I have already more than 36M
relations after about 71 days of sieving (single core). I expect I will need
about 100 days. I would say that a 155-digit number will need about 150 days.

For a large factorization (more than 100 digits) it is recommended to use the
cadofactor.pl script (and not factor.sh). See the documentation in the
cadofactor.pl script.

Best regards,
Paul Zimmermann