[Cado-nfs-discuss] Using GPU in Sieving Step

Zachary Harris zacharyharris at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 11 15:06:06 CEST 2012

Hamid,

  Someone with greater expertise can correct me if I'm wrong, but I
believe that, as a complete factorization algorithm itself, ECM is
independent of NFS and therefore your answer is "No", it is in no way
useful for the sieving part of NFS (i.e. ECM is not a sieve).
  As a rough heuristic, if I have a large number to factor, I'll hit it
with ECM first to quickly pull out any small (~25 digit) factors, and
then if the remaining factor is 60 digits or more I'll let NFS handle that.

-Zach