[Cado-nfs-discuss] cannot recover after a cadofactor.pl crash

Chris Murphy chrismrph0 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 19:45:40 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am using cado-nfs 1.1 to factor a c155 number.  The cadofactor.pl script
crashed upon starting the linear algebra stage.   I see that this issue and
a workaround was previously discussed on the list:
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/cado-nfs-discuss/2012-July/000075.html.
 I will remove the mpich2 package and try again.

However, now I can't recover using the work files I've already accumulated.
 I made a backup of the work directory when cadofactor.pl crashed.  I ran
the same cadofactor.pl command again after I modified my mach_desc file to
include only localhost and remove the mpi=1 argument.

When prompted, I chose "l" to clean up but continue at the checkpointed
linear algebra stage.   Unfortunately, the script deleted all my relations
files and started the polynomial stage again.  After the polynomial stage
finished, it began sieving again.  Is there any way to recover the work the
script has already done?  I still have a backup of the work directory.

The "Trying to recover..." operation marks several previous stages as not
done even though they did complete.

After choosing "l", I see these messages:

Info:polynomial selection not flagged as done, flagging factbase as not done
Info:polynomial selection not flagged as done, flagging sieve as not done
Info:factor base not flagged as done, flagging freerels as not done
Info:sieve and purge not flagged as done, flagging dup as not done
Info:duplicates not flagged as done, flagging purge as not done
Info:singletons and cliques not flagged as done, flagging merge as not done
Info:merge not flagged as done, flagging replay as not done

I have 436 files in my work directory, including these:

root at master:/opt/cado-nfs-1.1# ls /fdata/cadorecover/*done
/fdata/cadorecover/c155.dup_done
/fdata/cadorecover/c155.merge_done
/fdata/cadorecover/c155.replay_done
/fdata/cadorecover/c155.factbase_done