[Cado-nfs-discuss] CADO2.0 fails when factoring RSA600+

Emmanuel Thomé emmanuel.thome at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:34:56 CEST 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in cado-nfs.

In order to diagnose your problem better, we would like to gather more
information regarding your attempts.

 - Could you please provide the full transcripts ? At least the
bwc.log files would certainly be of great help.
 - As you have used mvapich2, I suppose that the environment is some
kind of linux, but can you please indicate which distribution you are
running (e.g. output of lsb_release -a, cat /etc/*_version, cat
/etc/*_release, or so).
 - When you say "It always fails", can you be a bit more specific ?
How many times have you seen bwc fail ? On which matrices ? Does that
correspond to several attempts from scratch, or to resumed attempts on
one given run which had been interrupted ?
 - I have vague suspicion that your bwc run might have been
interrupted in the middle, e.g. because of a disk full condition. This
typically prevents successful recovery, which is admittedly a
nuisance. If you could provide the "ls -l" output of your .bwc
directory, that would help.

Please note that cado-nfs is routinely used for 512-bit
factorizations, and many 600+ have been done, up to 704-bit so far.
This entails *NO* tinkering with the source files ! I'm in fact
extremely surprised that anything happened correctly if you really
changed the typedef for p_r_values_t and index_t from 32 to 64 bits.
This is simply useless, and counter-productive. Now if you encountered
a failure in bwc, that's probably unrelated anyway.

Best regards,

E.