[Cado-nfs-discuss] "characters" fails with "all dependencies are zero"

Emmanuel Thomé emmanuel.thome at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 14:34:49 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Raphaël Rigo <ml-cado at syscall.eu> wrote:
> Unfortunately no I don't have the log :(

Too bad.

> But it appears I forgot to pass nullspace=left. Should I re-run the full
> linalg step ?

Yes unfortunately. It's really too bad. The default behaviour of
nullspace=right inherits from the dark ages of this program, when it
was used to do discrete logs. Now admittedly 99% of the use of this
code base is with factoring, and we want left nullspace. Of course the
python code in cado-nfs adds it, but bwc.pl itself does
nullspace=right unless told otherwise.