[Cado-nfs-discuss] Relation file computed but not sent back to the server

Emmanuel Thomé Emmanuel.Thome at inria.fr
Wed Dec 2 22:35:35 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 07:55:05PM +0100, Christophe Clavier wrote:
> When one of my clients finished its assigned workunit the connection with
> the server was off.
> In this situation the client waits by polling until the connection is
> restored so that it can then send the relations file back to the server.
> In my case the client has been killed (power off of the computer) during the
> pooling phase.
> When I start a new client a new workunit is assigned but the already
> computed relation file is not retrieved by the server.
> Is there any means to provide this relation file to the server? Maybe a
> manual hack with the workunit database?

Hi Christophe,

I would advise against manual tinkering with the database. It's only
barely possible to get it right.

We considered having such a feature at some point. The reason it was
not implemented in any way is that in your scenario, all bets are off as
to how much time could elapse between the time the WU got assigned, and the
time the result will return back to the server. It is reasonable to
expect that the WU would have been reassigned in this case.

The closest you could consider given the existing code would be to import
these relations. But then, you would also have to mark this precise
special-q range as already done in the database. The current import
feature does not support this.

In a way, there's some similarity in what you are looking for, and an
idealized version of the relation import feature, in that it would entail
``spontaneous contributions'' to the computation. So if someday we work
on improving the relation import thing, the answer would then simply
become "use import". There is no such short-term plan, however.