[Cado-nfs-discuss] A question on CADO-NFS 2.1

paul zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann at inria.fr
Tue Jun 23 07:57:46 CEST 2015

       Dear Narges,

> Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:17:57 +0430
> From: narges mousavi <mousavi.nrgs at gmail.com>
>
> Dear Prof. Zimmermann
> Thank you for your fast reply.
>
> It was assumed that the reported results are the total spending time with
> 16 threads, not the sum up of all thread’s time; So, we made a mistake in
> comparison of our results with yours.
>
> We plan to run the CADO-NFS 2.1 with 128 threads. It would be grateful if
> you can help us by answering this question:
> We know that the sieving step can be run using almost unlimited number of
> threads, but we don’t have enough knowledge about the other steps. How many
> threads can we use in Polynomial selection, Linear Algebra and Square
> roots?  Is there any limitations? (Max or min…?)
>
> Best Regards
> Narges

there is no upper limit in the polynomial selection and the sieving steps,
however for the polynomial selection you might want to adjust adrange
so that adrange / (admax - admin) is a multiple of the number of threads.

For the linear algebra there is in principle no upper limit, as long as all
your nodes are connected with a fast network like infiniband.

For the lower limit it is 1 for all steps.

Best regards,
Paul