[Cado-nfs-discuss] Using cado-nfs to DLP a p270

Pierrick Gaudry pierrick.gaudry at loria.fr
Sat Jun 10 08:53:58 CEST 2017

Dear Peter,

CADO-NFS solves the DLP with an unknown generator (unknown even to the
programmer: this is a specificity of the algorithm we use).

But this is not a problem: you can compute the log of Y, the log of G and
then divide mod ell to get the log of Y in base G (just like with
classical logarithms). Once the precomputation is done, computing one
more log for the same group is very cheap.

The option -gfpext is not at all for the generator. This is an
experimental feature to deal with groups of the form GF(p^2). You can
forget it.

Oh, and it seems that you have put your target for ell, while ell should
be the factor of p-1 modulo which you want to solve the discrete log. In
your case, my guess is that this is (p-1)/2, but I can't tell for sure.

And a final remark: the current largest DLP computation publicly
announced was for a 232-digits prime p. CADO-NFS is currently completely
unable to deal with 270-digits DLPs. And you would need dozen of
thousands of cores for a couple of years anyway...

Regards,
Pierrick