[Cado-nfs-discuss] Alterations to default param files for NFS

paul zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann at inria.fr
Wed Jan 17 08:02:36 CET 2018

       Mike,

> From: Mike Curtis <vbcurtis at gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:50:37 -0800
>
> I have done a large set of test factorizations from 100 to 125 digits, and wish to
> make my own param files every 3 digits rather than every 5. Does CADO expect a
> params.c105 specifically, or can I change to params.c103, params.c106, etc? That is,
> will CADO locate the param file of nearest size, or is every-5-digits how it's meant
> to stay?

if a parameter with the exact size exists, it will be taken. For example you can copy
parameters/factor/params.c60 to parameters/factor/params.c63, change name to c63, and
if you factor a 63-digit number, the new file will be chosen.

But you can also easily modify the scripts to round to the nearest multiple of 3.
See file scripts/cadofactor/toplevel.py, around line 163.

> Also, I have tested a set of parameter refinements that seem to improve
> substantially (Say, 15-25% less time to complete GNFS) upon the default param files
> included in 2.3.0; some weird choices are made by default, such as using I=13 in c95
> but I=11 in c100. Should I send these possible improvements to the c105 through c120
> default files to someone in particular?

you can send them to me (c105, c110, c115, c120).

Best regards,
Paul Zimmermann