[Cado-nfs-discuss] Help starting out using two machines

David Willmore davidwillmore at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 23:16:15 CET 2020

Hello, all.  I just picked up a second box which is pretty much
identical to my first one WRT their CPUs and memory configuration.
I'm trying to use both of them to sieve an example number from the
README.  I have ssh working between them and the clients can reach the
'server' on port 8001 to get/report work.

What I'm stuck on is how to tell cado-nfs.py what clients to use and
what their CPU configuration is.  If I use device for a job, it
properly detects the CPU configuration and makes the best use of
things--as far as I can tell.  What I can't seem to do is to figure
out how to tell it about the worker machines--or will it just guess
and do the right thing?  The example from the README:
./cado-nfs.py 353493749731236273014678071260920590602836471854359705356610427214806564110716801866803409
slaves.hostnames=hostname1,hostname2,hostname3 --slaves 4
--client-threads 2
seems a bit confusing.  The machine running the initial cado-nfs.py
script isn't listed in the list of slave hostnames.  But the # of
slaves is 4, so is the localhost implicitly added to the three
hostnames provided for the slaves?  What does the "--client-threads"
parameter do?

Any help you can provide would be welcome.  Thank you.

Cheers,
David