[Cado-nfs-discuss] Help starting out using two machines

Emmanuel Thomé Emmanuel.Thome at inria.fr
Tue Mar 10 13:25:32 CET 2020

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 10:44:26AM +0000, Paul Leyland wrote:
> On 09/03/2020 16:24, Emmanuel Thomé wrote:
> > I'll try to reproduce this. At least the warning could/should be fixed,
> > but I think that it should be harmless. After all, it's only a warning
> > (my guess is that python --version is a python3.x on your machine. While
> > cado-nfs-client _should_ cope equally with python2 and python3, since its
> > shebang says python only, we don't test it that often with python3).
>
> Is that wise, given that Python 2 went EOL a few weeks ago?

yes and no. At this time, I have the impression that python3 is still
rarely the default python interpreter (F31 is one example. My debian
testing machine still has python -> python2). Hence you have to go a bit
out of your way to use python3 on a script that starts with
#!/usr/bin/env python . I agree that we should expose this to slightly
more testing than we do now (OTOH, the bug being discussed was introduced
by me last week, and fixed shortly thereafter).

Now I still think that there's some benefit in having a client that works
also with py2. Essentially because it costs us little. University
computer centers, in some places, have appalling software update cycles.
I wouldn't be surprised to find some with centos6 and no py3 installed.

E.