[Cado-nfs-discuss] Help starting out using two machines

Paul Leyland paul.leyland at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:09:56 CET 2020

On 10/03/2020 12:25, Emmanuel Thomé wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 10:44:26AM +0000, Paul Leyland wrote:
>> On 09/03/2020 16:24, Emmanuel Thomé wrote:
>>> I'll try to reproduce this. At least the warning could/should be fixed,
>>> but I think that it should be harmless. After all, it's only a warning
>>> (my guess is that python --version is a python3.x on your machine. While
>>> cado-nfs-client _should_ cope equally with python2 and python3, since its
>>> shebang says python only, we don't test it that often with python3).
>> Is that wise, given that Python 2 went EOL a few weeks ago?
> yes and no. At this time, I have the impression that python3 is still
> rarely the default python interpreter (F31 is one example. My debian
> testing machine still has python -> python2). Hence you have to go a bit
> out of your way to use python3 on a script that starts with
> #!/usr/bin/env python . I agree that we should expose this to slightly
> more testing than we do now (OTOH, the bug being discussed was introduced
> by me last week, and fixed shortly thereafter).

Gentoo has already switched.  I confidently expect Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to
switch also. I don't run RedHat-derived distributions so can't be sure
what is happening over there without doing a bit of research.

If you wish to be sure that P3 is used, change all the shebangs to
python3.  I am not aware of any system which does not have that alias.

Paul