[Cado-nfs-discuss] Help starting out using two machines

Emmanuel Thomé Emmanuel.Thome at inria.fr
Tue Mar 10 14:56:50 CET 2020

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 01:09:56PM +0000, Paul Leyland wrote:
> On 10/03/2020 12:25, Emmanuel Thomé wrote:
> >> Is that wise, given that Python 2 went EOL a few weeks ago?
> > yes and no. At this time, I have the impression that python3 is still
> > rarely the default python interpreter (F31 is one example. My debian
> > testing machine still has python -> python2). Hence you have to go a bit
> > out of your way to use python3 on a script that starts with
> > #!/usr/bin/env python . I agree that we should expose this to slightly
> > more testing than we do now (OTOH, the bug being discussed was introduced
> > by me last week, and fixed shortly thereafter).
>
> Gentoo has already switched.  I confidently expect Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to
> switch also. I don't run RedHat-derived distributions so can't be sure
> what is happening over there without doing a bit of research.
>
> If you wish to be sure that P3 is used, change all the shebangs to
> python3.  I am not aware of any system which does not have that alias.

Depends on what you call "any system". A cloud install of centos7 from
https://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.qcow2
has no python3 by default. Admittedly it has no gcc either, but it's
actually quite possible to imagine a context where a user has access to a
cluster with only a front-end machine that has the compile tools, and
nodes that have merely an appliance-level install. I agree that Joe User
would have an easy time installing py3 in $HOME anyway, but that doesn't
strike me as an excuse to change the shebang.

The shebang will stay python in the short term. But we'll think of having
test environments that are py3-only as well.

E.