[Cado-nfs-discuss] access to cado-nfs gitlab

Emmanuel Thomé Emmanuel.Thome at inria.fr
Wed Oct 21 11:02:43 CEST 2020

Hi all,

It's been slightly more than six months since cado-nfs has made the (long
overdue) move from gforge.inria.fr to gitlab.inria.fr .

gitlab allows external users to open accounts and file issues, comments,
and participate in the development effort in various ways.

Well, almost. In july, a new sponsorship wall has been added by inria on
the gitlab.inria.fr instance. It effectively means that outsiders must have a
(fixed duration) sponsorship by somebody who has an internal inria
account, before they can get an account for themselves.

As preposterous as it may be, this is the way it is. This has been forced
on us, and there's little we can do about it. Maybe this restriction will
eventually go away, but we're not made aware of plans in this direction
(or in any direction, in fact).

Let us make it clear: we're 100% ok with opening accounts for outsiders,
with the "guest" access level:
https://gitlab.inria.fr/help/user/permissions#project-members-permissions

(the general warning remains: if you're unsure of the relevance of
something you want to report, a mail to the mailing list is a good first
step)

The one thing you have to know is whom to ask for sponsorship. An e-mail
to any of Emmanuel Thomé, Pierrick Gaudry, Paul Zimmermann will do. We
only need to know a first name, last name, and an e-mail address. Don't
bother trying to invent a login name, it's not possible to alter the
automatic choice...

A further ludicrous restriction is that external users cannot fork
projects and create merge requests. To work around this, a roundtrip to
one of the core developers is mandatory (we can open MRs on behalf of
others, and transfer ownership).

Best regards,