[Ecm-dev] Proposal from George. Literally.

Alexander Kruppa alexander.kruppa at mytum.de
Dim 8 Mai 21:14:38 CEST 2005

George Woltman wrote:

> At 12:31 PM 5/7/2005, Alexander Kruppa wrote:
>
>> Should we do the normalization of Z to 1 in GMP as well?
>

> That is slightly easier for me, but I can go either way.
> Argument-wise, I'd have to return Z, but wouldn't need the number
> being factored.

Would you still have to link in Crandall's giantint library if your code
does not need to do extgcds? If not, I'd say that's the route to go;
then we wouldn't need to have two complete multiple precision libraries
in the binary.

> From a licensing point-of-view, the FFT code's only restriction is
> you can't use it to find Mersenne primes without agreeing to the
> prize distribution rules.  If the FFT license says you can freely
> distribute binaries built with the FFT library, can you then freely
> distribute a GMP-ECM binary that included the FFT library?  Is there

The problem is that anyone who gets the binary is entitled to receive
the complete source code under the GPL license. I'm no expert on this,
but I don't think we can add a limitation such as agreeing to the prize
distribution rules and still have the whole thing GPL'd. (can't someone
just find that 10M digit prime already?)

> any other way we can structure this to make licensing problems go
> away?

I have no idea.

Alex