[Ecm-dev] Proposal from George. Literally.

Laurent Fousse laurent at komite.net
Dim 8 Mai 22:55:29 CEST 2005

Hi,

* Alexander Kruppa [Sun, May 08, 2005 at 09:14:38PM +0200]:
> >From a licensing point-of-view, the FFT code's only restriction is
> >you can't use it to find Mersenne primes without agreeing to the
> >prize distribution rules.  If the FFT license says you can freely
> >distribute binaries built with the FFT library, can you then freely
> >distribute a GMP-ECM binary that included the FFT library?  Is there
>
> The problem is that anyone who gets the binary is entitled to receive
> the complete source code under the GPL license. I'm no expert on this,
> but I don't think we can add a limitation such as agreeing to the prize
> distribution rules and still have the whole thing GPL'd. (can't someone
> just find that 10M digit prime already?)

The prize distribution rule is a limitation that is incompatible with
the GPL:

    « You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
      exercise of the rights granted herein. »

However if the GPL-incompatible code is to be called as a library,
then the authors of the main GPL program (in our case, gmp-ecm) have
the power to grant an exception to link the program to the
GPL-incompatible library (this case appears frequently with authors of
GPL covered program who need an SSL library, and go ahead using
OpenSSL which is GPL-incompatible, usually leaving the legal mess for
others to sort out):

    http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs