[Ecm-dev] Proposal from George. Literally.

George Woltman woltman at alum.mit.edu
Lun 9 Mai 20:57:29 CEST 2005

Hi,

At 04:55 PM 5/8/2005, Laurent Fousse wrote:
>The prize distribution rule is a limitation that is incompatible with
>the GPL:
>
>     « You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
>       exercise of the rights granted herein. »
>
>However if the GPL-incompatible code is to be called as a library,
>then the authors of the main GPL program (in our case, gmp-ecm) have
>the power to grant an exception to link the program to the
>GPL-incompatible library
>
>     http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

Well the FAQ became semi-legalese and lost me.  I propose we either:

1)  Do the incompatible libs thing if it is to everyone's liking, or
2)  I'll create a GPL library with FFT sizes up to 1024K.  Those needing
larger FFT sizes,
can link in a non-GPL version for their personal use.

my non-GPL library for their personal use