[Ecm-dev] Licensing woes

Paul Zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann at loria.fr
Mer 11 Mai 11:00:50 CEST 2005

   Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:26:16 -0400
   From: George Woltman <woltman at alum.mit.edu>

   At 06:14 AM 5/10/2005, Paul Zimmermann wrote:

   >Which functionalities of those two packages do you need/use?
   >Is efficiency critical?
   >
   >Did you try MPFR (www.mpfr.org) to replace the quad-double package?
   >For giantint, doesn't GMP provide the same functionality? Both MPFR
   >and GMP are LGPL.

   I only use a few functions.  Sin, cos, exp, modular inverse, gcd.  Speed is not
   very important as it all happens at setup.

   Those libraries might work but have a high integration cost - especially since
   GMP won't work in an MSVC environment - which is what I use.

I'm not sure this is still true. I know people who successfully built GMP
and MPFR under MSVC. I'll try to see how to use them once you release your
interface.

Paul