[Ecm-discuss] GMP-ECM Requests

rogue at wi.rr.com rogue at wi.rr.com
Jeu 7 Avr 20:00:38 CEST 2011

Alex suggested that I submit my requests here.

One thing that I think you should change in the GMP-ECM readme is the link to OpenPFGW.  The current release can be found here:  [url]http://sourceforge.net/projects/openpfgw/[/url], not at Yahoo.

Would it be possible to add some type of "Iteration x of y" feature to GMP-ECM?  It would be nice to see on stdout/stderr how far along step 1 or step 2 are so that one could get a feel how much longer it will take to complete a curve.  For example, if B1 is 1e8, then it output "Step 1: 1500000/100000000" (or something like that) and then be updated every 100,000 or so iterations of B1.  PFGW, LLR, etc. do something like this already.

What I would also like to see is a "-o" option so that one can direct a copy of the output to a file.  In other words, it would be nice to see the output on screen and to a file (obviously the "Iteration x of y" would be to screen only).
Combining these two features would be very nice for ECMNet client users.  Currently ECMNet needs to use ">" to redirect the output to a file, but then the user can't see if GMP-ECM is currently in step 1 or step 2.  The "Iteration" feature solves the problem of knowing how close a step is to completion.  I understand that it wouldn't be 100% accurate, but I don't think that should be a reason to not do it.