[knem-devel] udev rule file

Brice Goglin Brice.Goglin at inria.fr
Mon Jun 14 07:04:40 CEST 2010

Le 14/06/2010 04:55, ryuuta a écrit :

> I realize knem now provides its own udev rules.

It provides it since yesterday evening only :) It's not documented well yet.

> However, I wan't able to run the test as (non-root) user due to the
> permission denial
> (of /dev/knem):
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ryuta/devel/knem/src/knem-build'
>   ***********
>   TEST status
> tools/knem_status_test
> open: Permission denied
> make: *** [check-basic] Error 1
>
> We have the permission issue unless udev's default mode is 0666
> (my udev doesn't set default mode value).
>
> I see open-mx explicitly set MODE value in its udev rule file.
> I thought it would be nice if knem could do the same thing.

For knem, I decided you'll need to be in group "rdma". Most kernel
subsystems rely on a user group (instead of making the device
world-accessible), we might have to do this when we'll merge knem in
distros. OFED uses the "rdma" group to allow access to IB devices and I
thought the same people would need knem access anyway for MPI. And knem
uses a RDMA-like API for creating memory regions and reading/writing
into them for other processes anyway.

You can change the udev rules file if needed. Maybe other people on this
list can comment but I like this solution.

Brice