[knem-devel] how to write INT value with KNEM "atomically"

Brice Goglin Brice.Goglin at inria.fr
Mon Sep 26 10:31:08 CEST 2011

Hello Valentin,
KNEM writes data using memcpy-like functions. The way those functions
actually move bytes depend a lot on the kernel version, architecture and
whether we're in the beginning/middle/end of the actual copy. It may
copy from 1 to 16bytes at once, and maybe 32bytes with AVX. So it's very
hard to us to have any idea of what's going on underneath (without
loosing performance). I am not even sure that memcpy is guaranteed to
copy in order (endianness would also be a problem for INTs anyway).
Memory barriers may be needed. So I am afraid I cannot help you much here.

You could ask KNEM to write your INT + a special flag byte for
notification. When using vectorial memory regions, KNEM writes iovecs in
order, but again I am not sure whether memory barriers may be needed to
guarantee that you're target process will actually see those writes in
order.

Brice