[Open-mx-announce] end of Open-MX maintenance?

Brice Goglin Brice.Goglin at inria.fr
Fri Dec 4 11:55:12 CET 2015

Hello

I am considering ending the maintenance of Open-MX. If anybody doesn't
want that to happen, please speak now!

This has been a great research project but I didn't actually do much
except maintenance (mostly support for newer Linux kernels) since 2012.
Also MPI implementations are slowly dropping MX support (Open MPI will
remove it in 2.0) since Myricom hardware isn't used anymore. You will
still be able to use Open-MX as long as you use older MPIs. You won't
even need an old Linux kernel since the last Open-MX release (1.5.4)
still builds fine against the upcoming 4.4 and seems to work fine at
least on 4.2.

The webpage/documentation/tarballs/repository will remain available at
http://open-mx.gforge.inria.fr/ pretty much for ever. In really
necessary, I could still write small fixes for building against newer
kernels, but you would have to pull from GIT or apply patches (I would
not release any official tarball anymore).

I want to thank all the collaborators and users that made this software
a success about 5 years ago. Now my focus is rather on topology-related
research projects (if you don't know hwloc yet, you should definitely
look at http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/)

Brice