[Pharo-project] [OT] Sophie in Java

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Tue Sep 23 18:39:40 CEST 2008

Hi all,

the Mellon foundation just approved the grant to Astea in Bulgaria to
redevelop Sophie in Java! Astea (http://asteasolutions.com) are the nice
guys that we trained and who then turned around, stating on their web
site that they developed Sophie, took our Sophie documents and artwork
for their proposal and managed to persuade Mellon to actually give them
money...

We moved the current Sophie project to http://opensophie.org, hoping to
keep Sophie alive and making Sophie better than what they can come up with.

And why I'm sending this to the Pharo list?
Pharo already has so much promise as a base system, hopefully providing
in the core already what we had to re-invent in Sophie because it didn't
work in the main Squeak version. The Freetype stuff already turned out
really well! Hopefully more to come.

And once I finish these new etoys installers I can do some Pharo work
too, hopefully ;-)

Michael