[Pharo-project] Smalltalk Labs Browser

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 20:56:57 CET 2010

>> The code should mostly work, I recently fixed all the tests. However
>> keep in mind that it hasn't been used in the past 4 years and that it
>> does not support some "newer" OB features like the button bar and the
>> new completion and multiselect dialogs.
>
> I got it working with your instructions.
> I seems a little rough in terms of error handling and feedback, but it is very impressive.

This is all Colin's code, I only fixed it to make it work with the
latest code base. To me it serves as a verification that the OB
metamodel remains independent of the view code.

> It is quite surprising that this is not a Seaside web app.

At the time this was written Seaside just came up with AJAX support.

> I also wonder why web based IDE's did not catch on, maybe you were to early here.
> It kind of feels like it should somehow work.

I was already working with a web based IDE's in 2000 (Zope). It was a
horrible experience, and it still is one today. People obviously moved
to other frameworks: Django, Rails, ... and in my case Seaside.

> The current cloud hype fits very well with a web based IDE.

This is true, but then again cloud service providers do not promote
web based IDEs either.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli