[Pharo-project] Smalltalk Labs Browser

Geert Claes geert.wl.claes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 21:28:35 CET 2010

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Also note that there is a complete AJAX based OmniBrowser view for the web
> (OB-Web), that brings the complete OB toolset including all refactoring
> tools to the web for over 4 years now. No web-based
> development UI really took off in the past decade, so I wonder if this is
> really what people need?

I hadn't heard of OB-Web, I should have a look at it.

Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> WebVelocity is another example (it is not the right aproach IMO, but it
> feels reasonably solid). The current cloud hype fits very well with a web
> based IDE.

WebVelocity may feel solid but I reckon the user experience sucks.  I
haven't been able to look at SeaBreeze which is supposed to be another
example.

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Also I am not sure how well the traditional Smalltalk browsers convert to
> the web? Clamento takes a different approach, see <http://clamato.net/>.

Clamato looks pretty cool!  I agree that porting the traditional Smalltalk
IDE to the web doesn't really make sense, but with web apps becoming more
powerful I can really see potential here :)