[Pharo-project] Introspection on saved image file

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 22:13:47 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM, YossiDM <smalltalk at fixinsbar.com> wrote:

> Is there a simple way that I can do some introspection on an image file
> without loading it as the current image for the VM? Specifically, I want to
> query the classes, methods, packages, etc loaded into the image for
> documentation purposes, for example from a previous version of an image
> saved as a snapshot.
>
> Is there a way I can do this with built-in functionality? It's easy on the
> running image, but I don't want to actually load a new VM with an image to
> check its contents. Would it be possible to use AST or anything like that
> worst case?

very recently someone posted a link to a complete visualization of an image
to pdf, I think on the squeak list.  So yes, there are tools to do this.
 You can also load an image using the VMMaker and analyse it in that. Of
course a really nice ay would be a mirror interface to the image so one
could use standard tools to inspect it, but that's real work.

HTH
Eliot