[Pharo-project] Introspection on saved image file

YossiDM smalltalk at fixinsbar.com
Thu Nov 4 22:17:06 CET 2010

Thanks. I suspected as much. Any plans to implement anything like this?

We are currently using the .changes file, but we will perhaps instead take a
custom snap shot of the data into a specific data structure and persist it
before we turn off the image. As you can imagine, getting this information
is useful in all kinds of project management and build tools. I'd rather get
it dynamically of course. Imagine in Hudson for instance if you could take a
look at what was inside the image without downloading it. Maybe not useful
to everyone, but in our context it certainly would be, especially for
dashboards and metrics on code. We're also doing this with mcz files, but
sometimes we want the last state of the image which may not have included
proper packaging on some of the code.

I'll be sure to share any of the tools we create, but it's still awhile off
since there's a lot of work we need to do.