[Pharo-project] Introspection on saved image file

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Thu Nov 4 23:17:45 CET 2010

nick is starting to work on cross compilation toolset and remote debugger in the context of robots
but I imagine that his work should let us access remote images.
Having an API would be good to be able to query the system and get some information

Now orthogonally what we will start to work on and people can help is the following:
	- we want an object-oriented structural and semantics model of the source code to be versioned
	in some ways (probably a gemstone db but it could be something else)
	- we want to have all the code of Squeak and Pharo in that infrastructure so that we can query
	everything we like.
	- Other applications should be able to use the same infrastructure for their project.

On Nov 4, 2010, at 10:17 PM, YossiDM wrote:

> Thanks. I suspected as much. Any plans to implement anything like this?
>
> We are currently using the .changes file, but we will perhaps instead take a
> custom snap shot of the data into a specific data structure and persist it
> before we turn off the image. As you can imagine, getting this information
> is useful in all kinds of project management and build tools. I'd rather get
> it dynamically of course. Imagine in Hudson for instance if you could take a
> look at what was inside the image without downloading it. Maybe not useful
> to everyone, but in our context it certainly would be, especially for
> dashboards and metrics on code. We're also doing this with mcz files, but
> sometimes we want the last state of the image which may not have included
> proper packaging on some of the code.

we want to run moose on mcz packages :)