[Pharo-project] Pharo and Astronomy?

YossiDM smalltalk at fixinsbar.com
Fri Nov 5 00:58:22 CET 2010

I haven't used astronomy packages, but I've played around with interop with
other languages. I am assuming your goal is that you don't want to replace
your libraries, rather just make use of them.

In general, there are a few strategies that also apply to python, but I have
never done direct integration:

-Web Services - IMO, the best option if possible and all you want is to
send/receive results and super speed is not an issue or calls can be done in
logical batches or something. It will depend how your application works if
this is an option. We've done this for example with WPF applications
consuming Smalltalk code and data in C# as there's no magic bridge between
C# and Pharo that I am aware of yet.

-C libraries to act as a bridge (FFI/Alien in Pharo)

-Shell Scripting

-Process calls/integration/shell (OSProcess and the like in Pharo, Piping
and such in Python).

-Persistent Store - send data to a persistent store or location and have
python or pharo receive push or pull notifications or integration with any
of the above. Could be the file system, database, or something else.