[Pharo-project] About SimpleMorphic

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Nov 7 04:17:41 CET 2010

Hi Folks,

I apologize for not answering the original messages properly, I had mail
deliver disabled, so I can't. I have enabled it, so I'll answer properly
from now on.

To Hillarie:
If you don't use Polymorph, but want to build your own Morphs from
scratch, SimpleMorphic is simpler, easier to understand, tweak and fix.

To Doru:
Let's do a comparison:

Size of 4 core classes (Morph, MorphExtension, PasteUpMorph and WorldState)
Pharo / Squeak / Cuis
totalIvars:  39 / 46 / 26
totalClassVars: 15 / 10 / 5
totalInstMethods: 1170 / 1764 / 663
totalClassMethods: 55 / 71 / 16

Size of the whole Morph hierarchy
Pharo / Squeak / Cuis
totalClasses: 197 / 331 / 58
totalIvars:  649 / 1063 / 257
totalClassVars: 54 / 138 / 28
totalInstMethods: 6651 / 9186 / 2115
totalClassMethods: 303 / 858 / 127

SimpleMorphic is much smaller. Core classes are simpler and easier to
understand, fix and extend. The most important part is that this is not
blind removal of unused code. A lot of the functionality has been
redesigned to make it simpler, and the removal was done with great care
to result in a consistent system. This work started in 2004, so we're
talking of about 6 years of careful work. All this means that
SimpleMorphic does not support all the features that Pharo or Squeak
might support. Please use the browsers and other tools in Cuis to check
what it indeed can do.

Talking about complexity, let's take for example, morph layout. This is
started with #doLayoutIn: in Pharo and #doLayoutIfNeeded in SimpleMorphic.

In Pharo, this method calls #adjustLayoutBounds: (19), #layout:in:
(149), #layoutProportionallyIn: (10),
#computeCellArrangement:in:horizontal:target: (87),
#computeGlobalCellArrangement:in:horizontal:wrap:spacing: (31),
#computeCellSizes:in:horizontal: (30),
#computeExtraSpacing:in:horizontal:target: (136), #layoutLeftToRight:in:
(91), #layoutTopToBottom:in: (91), #placeCells:in:horizontal:target:
(70). The numbers in parenthesis are the sum of the lines of code of the
implementors. Total lines of code for layout (taking only these most
important methods) is 714. I doubt there are many people who really
understand all of this code.

In SimpleMorphic (Cuis), this calls #layoutSubmorphsIn: (10),
#applyLayoutFrameIn: (11), #layout:in: (24). Total lines of code is 45.
I believe any smalltalker could understand these in just minutes.

I hope this makes makes it clearer to you what SimpleMorphic is.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich