[Pharo-project] About SimpleMorphic

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Nov 9 16:58:34 CET 2010

Hi Fernando,

Fernando Olivero wrote:
> Hi Juan, i have a couple of questions regarding the new Cuis layout,
> which by the way , is a much cleaner implementation!.

Good! Did you play a bit with the examples in LayoutMorph class methods?
They are kinda cool. For instance, do LayoutMorph example3, enlarge the
morph and remove some of the submorphs, and see how the layout adjust
itself.

> "LayoutSpecs are the basis for a new layout mechanism, alternative to
> LayoutFrame. Any Morph can be given a LayoutSpec, but in order to
> honor it, the morph must be submorph of a LayoutMorph."
>
> In my opinion, we dont need to enforce the LayoutMorph subclasification.

Well, I guess you misread. I didn't say 'subclass of LayoutMorph'. I
said 'submorph of a LayoutMorph' :)

> Because Morph>>doLayoutIfNeeded could use its "layoutMorphSpec"
> collaborator, if present.
>
> doLayoutIfNeeded
> 	[self layoutSpec layoutSubmorphsIn: self layoutBounds] on: Error do: [ :ex |
> What do you think?
>
> Fernando
>
> pd: Similar to decoupling the "visual layout properties" that Brazil is doing.

Well, LayoutSpec is quite like what Brazil does. For example, from the
Brazil description: "When the same visual is a child of a Row, the area
is an instance of a different class whose attributes and behavior are
meaningful for a row cell." Looks like the main difference is that I
merged the Row object and the Area object in the LayoutMorph object.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich
Ps. Do you happen to be in Buenos Aires these days? We'd meet!