[Pharo-project] #& in Socket >> #waitForSendDoneFor:

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Nov 11 00:28:05 CET 2010

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> On 09.11.2010 07:58, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>> What does your patch do?
>
> It replaces the #& with and #and: swaps receiver and argument to
> preserve the same semantics. That saves a primitive call if the data is
> already sent. It's basically the same as posted by Levente.
>
>> At a minimum, it deserves a little attention.  Things that come to mind are that one version does less work due to some type of optimization (and runs faster as a result) or that one is too quick to detect a loss of connection and sends less data per opportunity, appearing to run slower as a result.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on "I'm able to push about 1 Mbyte/s more"?  I guess I'm asking how that manifests itself?  Are there a bunch of connections that form, send and fail?  Do they each get a little farther or do they go faster?
>
> Throughput outgoing from the Pharo image was about 1 Mbyte/s higher. Now

1MB/s throughput sounds pretty low. On windows I could transfer 160MB/s
using two processes in the same image by directly using the Socket
primitives in 4k chunks. With high level methods (#sendData:
#receiveData:) it went down to 110MB/s. With a two image setup
(client-server) I got 66MB/s (one CPU/image).

Though our machines are different (yours is probably faster), still
Machine/OS differences + concurrent access + ab + apache + AJP + Seaside
caused 66x slowdown. That's more than acceptable IMHO.

Levente