[Pharo-project] [Pharo-users] SocketStream persistence

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Nov 11 11:35:07 CET 2010

Hi!

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Daniel Klein <danielk at danielk.us
> <mailto:danielk at danielk.us>> wrote:
>
>     I just discoverd the 'noTimeout' message in the 'configuration'
>     protocol, so that solves my persistence problem.
>     But the question remains: When this process is running, it blocks
>     until it completes. How can I fire it up so that I can continue to
>     interact with Pharo while it is running?

Do-its in Squeak/Pharo are run in the UI Process, that is why the code
is "blocking the UI" when it runs. Just fork it off in a background
Process instead:

[ ...some-code-to-run-in-background...] fork

See rest of protocol in method category "scheduling" in class BlockContext.

And yes, Squeak/Pharo uses "green threads".

regards, Göran