[Pharo-project] Repackaging task force

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Fri Nov 12 15:17:11 CET 2010

Hi,

after an IRC discussion with Alexandre and Stef yesterday we agreed
that it would be good to start working on cleaning up/organizing
the packages and get better structure into the system.

Goals:
 - seperate tests, examples, help, ... from code in distinguishable packages
 - but also have tests, examples, help packages closer to the code
 - be able to have cleaned up and reproducable package dependencies
   in the future
 - provide quality checks to see if packages conform to cleanup rules

The abusing of class categories for packaging will not be
replaced with a real packaging system in the near future but
that shouldnt be a problem so far.

I dont know where we will end up, how much time we can devote and
what problems we may find but if we wont try we will never find
out ...

Proposal:
=========
 1. we should have an informal repackaging task force and I would
    like to invite the following people since they already worked
    on repackaging/loading/unloading before:

      Adrian, Pavel, Stef and any other who wants to help

 2. since we have to use a naming convention we would like to start
    with the one from Seaside:
     http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/PackageNaming

    since it is already used and may help us here. Lets see how
    this turns out.

 3. we should start with simple packages and clean them up

 4. well formed packages also means we can run quality checks
    per package. Maybe the hudson infrastructure can help us
    here to tell if already cleaned up packages continue to be
    clean.

To wet your appetite a little bit I worked in the announcement
framework packages.

See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3252

As a goodie we have a new help book documenting the framework a little bit.

Feel free to try the changesets in a recent 1.2 image and comment.
I hope this doesnt start a flamewar on the correct package naming
(which we can always change) but help to improve the quality of
each package one by one ...

Thx
T.

--