[Pharo-project] Repackaging task force

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Sat Nov 13 11:41:34 CET 2010

Hi Torsten,

Nice to see that we also improve at this front again!

The goals make sense. When I recategorized all the tests that were mixed with the code to the global "Tests" package, I followed your first goal ("separate tests and code"). The main objective was to be able to make tests unloadable for the #cleanUpForProduction stripping of an image. So I think that splitting up the monolithic Tests package is a good next step because we gain modularity as single packages can be moved out/in of core including their tests (which is currently not possible since the tests can only be loaded/unloaded at once).

I've seen your Regex refactoring [3254], which splits the code into three separate Monticello packages:

Regex-Core
Regex-Tests
Regex-Examples

That is, there is no package "Regex" anymore. Looks good (also the removing of the 'VB-' prefix was long overdue).

I don't think its a big drawback, but just because it was not mentioned before: the consequence is that we'll end up with more than twice as many Monticello packages in the system.

Cheers,
Adrian