[Pharo-project] Pharo beginner bugs ....

Guido Stepken gstepken at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:15:25 CET 2010

Beginners Bugs in Pharo 1.1 on Linux:

In System Browser i choose Tools-Base->Workspace->initization->initialize

and see code

os := (Smalltalk platformName)

hmmm.

I open Shout Workspace, type Smalltalk pl ... and i get 'platformFamily'
suggested. No 'platformName' offered by Shout completion mode.

And: I cannot choose from other offers in suggestion list by clicking
with mouse. Why?

Linux Problem?

Next example: In Shout Workspace i enter: TTSampleFontMorph new
openInWorld. <ALT-P>

I get an error and a ghostframe, that i cannot delete. And: Completion
mode when i enter TTSample ... does not work. Fuck!

What are you guys thinking of your work on Pharo, e.g. quality testing?

Did you never notice, that even the basics of completion mode in Shout
Browser are buggy?

Then i open in World Menu: Tools->Filebrowser i get Error:Invalid utf8
input detected

We need a perfectly running Pharo on Linux/Wine (Ubuntu 9.10). And no,
no MAC here anywhere in schools in germany.

Can you imagine, that a teacher and his pupils drive mad on such simple
bugs?

So i have to teach with SCRATCH or BYOB in class. No serious bugs, no
problems.

regards, Guido Stepken