[Pharo-project] Pharo beginner bugs ....

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Thu Nov 18 18:23:10 CET 2010

On Nov 18, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Guido Stepken wrote:

> Beginners Bugs in Pharo 1.1 on Linux:
>
> In System Browser i choose Tools-Base->Workspace->initization->initialize
>
> and see code
>
> os := (Smalltalk platformName)
>
> hmmm.
>
> I open Shout Workspace, type Smalltalk pl ... and i get 'platformFamily' suggested. No 'platformName' offered by Shout completion mode.

shout or oCompletion because oCompletion is based on the frequency of the last message you typed and it does not register all the
method of the services at first.

> And: I cannot choose from other offers in suggestion list by clicking with mouse. Why?

I do not know :) may be because nobody proposed code to do so.

> Linux Problem?
>
> Next example: In Shout Workspace i enter: TTSampleFontMorph new openInWorld. <ALT-P>

in 1.2 it is working on my machine and also in 1.1.1.dev10.09.2 on mac.
And I can delete it with the halos.

> I get an error and a ghostframe, that i cannot delete. And: Completion mode when i enter TTSample ... does not work. Fuck!

this is not polite :)

> What are you guys thinking of your work on Pharo, e.g. quality testing?

Nothing! we are dull in a lot of topics :)

> Did you never notice, that even the basics of completion mode in Shout Browser are buggy?
which version?
which image?

I suggest you to stay friendly if you want that we spend our time to reply nicely to you and I will not
be as violent as you and I fully understand your frustration.
There is nothing more violent that a huge silence.

Now pay me two engineer for 2 years and you will not recognize pharo :).

> Then i open in World Menu: Tools->Filebrowser i get Error:Invalid utf8 input detected

May be there is a problem on linux. because it works both on 1.2unstable and 1.1.1.dev10.09.2

> We need a perfectly running Pharo on Linux/Wine (Ubuntu 9.10).

Yes we want that

> And no, no MAC here anywhere in schools in germany.
>
> Can you imagine, that a teacher and his pupils drive mad on such simple bugs?

My wife is a teacher and I give lecture to computer illiterate too.

> So i have to teach with SCRATCH or BYOB in class. No serious bugs, no problems.

How much payed engineered was put on the table?
And how much complexity is shown to people with scratch?

> regards, Guido Stepken

I spent 10 min of ***my time*** to nicely reply to you so keep the situation so that I enjoy doing that.