[Pharo-project] Not happy with the issues feed from Google

George Herolyants george.herolyants at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 21:23:38 CET 2010

2010/11/18 Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:
> What is the last time you read the bug archives to see what is happening there?
> So if you do not read the archive then how can you help? how can we make sure that people are aware?

Stef,

I'm subscribed to some issues through standard Google Code "star this
issue" feature. So, I'm aware of the changes happening to these bugs.
I'm also subscribed to the RSS channel of the Pharo Google Code site,
but I do not follow it closely so far -- just have not enough time. So
my point is that interested people still are able to follow the
bugflow without subscribing the whole list to the updates.

And if you want to make sure people are aware of the work you're
doing, I'd rather recommend you to pay more attention to the news page
of the pharo-project.org website. And having a list of immediate goals
and time line for them could also help, I think. Forcing people to
follow all the minor activities happening on the tracker (I mean
changing milestones, statuses and so on) won't rather help (IMHO).
I've also created a filter to ignore all such messages after I've seen
them flooding my inbox. So I even don't see them and this fact somehow
contradicts to your point of making people aware. I still think
important things are worth talking abouth them. I mean bootstraping
from kernel or new compiler or something else but in the form of
goals, plans, progress made and so on. Yeah, I know it's easier to
speak than actually do :), but effect might be better.

You may now ask, why I'm so concerned about this issue, if I do not
even receive these autogenerated emails :) Ok, I just think that it's
wrong. But I may be wrong too of course :) There are two things I find
not practical. One of them is that replying to autogenerated mail in
the list and not copying these replies to the tracker actually splits
the discussion and makes it harder for people to track it later. The
other thing is mailing list archives like the one on Nabble. It's just
becoming harder to surfe them. And I'm not aware of the other
opensource projects doing the same with their mailing lists.

> What is the last time you look at the code of the fixes that got integrated? Because if you do not read
> it how can we do quality control? So if I could I would send the diff of all the package in the mailing-lits as this is done in squeak.

You can't do quality control this way. Everyone won't look at the code
of these fixes, interested people are already looking at them so you
won't gain anything. And it's iterative process after all: you make
changes, people look at the code of these changes doing their job in
Pharo, and if they're unhappy with these changes you'll know about it
:) But important changes still need to be reviewed by experienced
community members, no doubts here.

> Now what we can do to please some of you so far 4, we could create a mailing-list where such mails would be sent.
> But let us see so far who is really against.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not extremely against this change. I just
think that this is not the best way to achieve your goals.

My apologies for the long mail.

George