[Pharo-project] Not happy with the issues feed from Google

Stephan Eggermont stephan at stack.nl
Thu Nov 18 21:38:43 CET 2010

Stef wrote in reply to:
>On Nov 18, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
>>That doesn't help with the web interface;
>??
As I said, I often browse
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2010-November/

>>But you just get a bad summary from squeak-source I have to click on the link all the time.
But then you at least get to see the whole discussion instead of one line.

> - Filtering doesn't work with digests;
>>I do not understand

The mailing list has a digest function. Most email clients do not know how to
filter them.

> - The subject is not good and the content is not good for a mailing list;
>>Why
>>Bugs are our concerns

I fully agree that bugs are our concern, and that it is important to make
activity visible. I also understand and share your frustration that bug
reports are badly read and written. I just think that this works contra-productive.
- the subject of a feed message is bad: it is just the issue number
and the issue title, instead of adding what happened with the issue.
- the content of a feed message is bad: the context is missing.

> - It reduces the searchability/usability of the mailing list archives;
>>Why?
>>I want to look for bug discussions there too and not using a bad google search engine.

I think the problem most potential contributors have is one of too much information,
not too little. Giving them more, in a badly prepared format, is unlikely to help.

Stephan