[Pharo-project] Ideas for CompiledMethod proxies?

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Nov 21 00:13:34 CET 2010

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>> The only problem is that you can't swap-out a method that's used by the
>> swap-in code.
>>

> Yes, but that's easy to solve. Before swapping everything, I "simulate" the
> swapping of a dummy CompiledMethod. During that, I mark all the
> CompiledMethods that were used to perform that. And then, I exclude those
> objects from being swapped :)

That won't work, because during the simulation you'll only try a single
execution path. Swapping in a real method may invoke methods that weren't
used during the simulation. For example my implementation uses
#storeString to serialize the methods and Compiler >> #evaluate: to
deserialize them. So during deserialization a lot of different methods may
be invoked.

Levente