[Pharo-project] New to PHP 5.4: Traits

jaayer jaayer at zoho.com
Sun Nov 21 22:53:20 CET 2010

---- On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:06:35 -0800 Stefan Marr  wrote ----

>Hi:
>
>On 21 Nov 2010, at 21:47, jaayer wrote:
>> Excellent that other, lesser languages like PHP, Perl 6 and Scala have already adopted and standardized Traits while the reactionaries in the Smalltalk community still resist doing the same?
>Ignoring all the sarcasm in that comment:
>I don't see any form of standardization here. I am not aware that any of the other existing PHP implementations has picked up Traits so far.

PHP has no standard; the implementation is the standard, and Traits are being added to the implementation, hence, "standardization." My point remains; other languages are or have already adopted Traits while the Smalltalk community, from which the concept sprang, continues to drag its heels after nearly a decade since their introduction.

>And well, it is about 3 years from the first implementation to a first release in an official alpha version of PHP. There is still a loooong way to go...

No, there isn't, at least not compared with the rate of Smalltalk's adoption of Traits. Face it. There are just too many Smalltalkers who seem to think the language is a complete revelation that no mortal has the right to amend. Other languages can grow to accommodate new features; Smalltalk, which went through a number major revisions in the 70s at PARC, remains frozen in the amber of 1980.