[Pharo-project] FileDirectory default is wrong in MacOS

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Mon Nov 22 13:16:25 CET 2010

On Nov 22, 2010, at 12:58 08PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> H Bill. The file system (as much as I can notice) seems to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I am a completly mac newbie...so...
>>>
>>> Eliot: WOW! I didn't know that you can choose....I am googling now how to change to case sensitive (I hope I don't need to reformat).
>>
>> you have but don't do that you may get a lot of trouble.
>> Imagine you send me two files which are case sensitive and my system may blow up or I lose something and I send it back to you
>> fucked up.
>>
>> So if you are ready to not interact with other people change else keep it the way it is.
>>
>> I got problem because damien in the past changed it and interacted with me.
>>
>> Ok, thanks for the advice. But still, the problem with Pharo is present.
>>
>> My OS is case insensitive, but FileDirectory default is working like case sensittive.....
>

> This means that the VM should give a way to know if the filesystem is key sensitive
> without that we can only guess or we could have a test saving a file and checking.

As a (fragile) hack, you could use isAFileNamed: with a known existing filename on the platform containing uppercase characters
i.e. the platform function called in FilePlugin>primitiveFileOpen (at least on Mac) respects the case-sensitivity setting.

Problem is when new version come out where the file is moved/removed, you're in trouble :)

Cheers,
Henry