[Pharo-project] FileDirectory default is wrong in MacOS

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:07:45 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <
stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:

> > > H Bill. The file system (as much as I can notice) seems to be Mac OS
> Extended (Journaled). I am a completly mac newbie...so...
> > >
> > > Eliot: WOW! I didn't know that you can choose....I am googling now how
> to change to case sensitive (I hope I don't need to reformat).
> >
> > you have but don't do that you may get a lot of trouble.
> > Imagine you send me two files which are case sensitive and my system may
> blow up or I lose something and I send it back to you
> > fucked up.
> >
> > So if you are ready to not interact with other people change else keep it
> the way it is.
> >
> > I got problem because damien in the past changed it and interacted with
> me.
> >
> > Ok, thanks for the advice. But still, the problem with Pharo is present.
> >
> > My OS is case insensitive, but FileDirectory default is working like case
> sensittive.....
>

> This means that the VM should give a way to know if the filesystem is key
> sensitive
> without that we can only guess or we could have a test saving a file and
> checking.

I thought about that. I was thinking to implement   MacFileDirectory >>
isCaseSensitive
so that it keeps a class side variable with the boolean. The getter can be
lazy, and in nil, you can write a dummy file, and check.
But even if you do this, we still have a problem, becuase right now
FileDirectory default is answering the unix one....and unix is always
case-sensitive, so we shouldn't change that.  So first we need to modify so
that we can use the MacFileDirectory, and then how to modify it so that it
can support both case sensitive, and insensitive.