[Pharo-project] FileDirectory default is wrong in MacOS

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Nov 22 21:39:27 CET 2010

Likely a bit of history is needed here.

The original file logic for macintosh OS 7.5.5 worked with HFS, later I guess it was 8.x Apple introduced HFS+ which allowed for files names to be longer
than N where N was mmm 26 or 32? That would be the check for 255 characters.  So we had to deal with pre HFS and post HFS+ systems.

Later when os-x came out I had to rewrite the file lookup logic to properly handle symbolic links and os-9 aliases, then earlier in the last decade it became
apparent that Apple was moving the developer community from using OS-7.x.x file naming conventions to unix naming convention. So again some nasty bit of logic to help the image and the VM sort between is it HFS, HFS+, pre os-x names, or post os-x names (255 chars & case insensitive).

In all this Apple decided to go with case insensitive file names, but on the os-x server case sensitive.  Now of course you can switch but that sometimes leads to interesting problems.

So one is that you can have four volumes mounted, each of which has different case sensitivity, so it's not the operating system that drives case or no, it's the volume.  When I looked at this 10 years back it was *difficult* to drag the information about the volume out of the OS, now it's easier, but mounting NFS  etc perhaps makes things a bit fuzzy again.

However this issue is a problem because you can't do   "FileSystem isCaseSensitive"   it's more like  "FileSystem isCaseSensitiveForVolume: volume"
Clouding that is of course the fact what is a volume across different OS? and of course in unix you can have mount points so it's unclear how you know...

Anyway as you see a bit of restructuring would need to be done because you have to consider each file path differently.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882