[Pharo-project] <script language="smalltalk">

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 01:02:43 CET 2010

On 24 November 2010 00:46, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:
>>How easy/hard to integrate smalltalk VM into browsers? It it feasible?
>
> You need to run as a plugin in the browser, so the VM has to be
> in process (DLL on windows instead of exe for instance)
>
>>I know, there is (or was) a Squeak browser plugin.
>
> Yes there was/is a Squeak ActiveX control for InternetExplorer
> and a Netscape plugin for NS compatible browsers.
> Dont know about the maintenance state...
> As you already said ... they are more like "applet providers"
> in Java. AFAIK they are not interfacing with the scripting
> engines of the browser.
>
>>While i thinking, that it would be cool to use smalltalk directly in
>>pages, as javascript.
>
> That would mean to run on the client in the browser and mean to:

<skipping technical details>
:)

> Question left is why you want all this. Instead of Smalltalk you
> can use JavaScript for the browser/client part of your app.
> JavaScript is very dynamic and meanwhile supported and fast enough in nearly any browser....

Yes. This is a question which i would like to discuss and get an
answer from community.
One of the discrepancies, when developing Seaside applications is
dealing with JS.
What, if you could eliminate it, and use smalltalk on server and
client sides both.
Don't you think this could make many things much easier to do?

What if you would be able to expose parts of your application directly
to client side, by simply telling:
html exportClass: MyClientSideClass

instead of

html script: 'a string containing script'

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.