[Pharo-project] <script language="smalltalk">

csrabak at bol.com.br csrabak at bol.com.br
Wed Nov 24 13:52:22 CET 2010

Em 24/11/2010 09:39, Janko Mivšek < janko.mivsek at eranova.si > escreveu:

> I'm pretty sure that any plugin based solution will have a dead-end,
> as  all  Smalltalk plugins  so  far had.  There  are  just too  many
> browsers  to  support  out  there.  FireFox,  IE,  Safari,  Android,
> Symbian,  ... We  are too  small community  to afford  maintaining a
> plugin on so many different browsers.

I can agree with that, giving the past history of Smalltalk plugins.

Besides, we've to accept a simple fact of life: for the end user there
is not any apparent benefit of such additional plugin. Or, in other words:

There is no compelling reason for an end user feel the need of an
additional piece of SW to be installed in his/her computer, even harder
if in a corporative environment where you have to get permits from
sysadmins, etc.

>  Therefore I see  the only viable long-term solution  a Smalltalk on
> top  of  JavaScript  VM.  Yes,  I  know,  this  is  a  very  limited
> environment for Smalltalk  standards, but it is the  least evil from
> all choices we have.

Except if this technology has something different from present state of
art, this new layer (a.k.a. indirection) will have the single effect of
bringing the smalltalk code to appear slower than 'native' javascript,
without any benefit to the end user.

>  We actually have some effords done or underway already, like ST2JS,

I understand these are a different beast: they 'translate' Smalltalk code
into 'equivalent' javascript to be fed to the browsers.
> Clamato,

This is an hybrid, but basically tries to emulate some 'dialect' of Smalltalk
in javascript.  In the end, you need to master a nth language which is not
nor javascript nor smalltalk anymore.  Again, if the advantages of such
approach are quickly accrued the additional effort to do so will deter
the widespread of the technology.

[snipped]

my 0.019999....

--