[Pharo-project] Some question about categories, packages and extensions

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Thu Nov 25 13:47:02 CET 2010

Hi cyrille

On Nov 25, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am currently writing some tests about all that and some questions comed in mind :)
>
> => If I create a category named: 'Category' from the classic browser, it does not create a package in the monticello browser.
> Is that behavior something clearly wanted or is it just resulting from something I don't know ?

for now there is no direct mapping from category to package.
We have to declare a package with the category name and it will match the subcategories.

> => I define a class in this category, still nothing in the monticello browser
>
> =>  I defined in any class a category named: '*cAtEGorY', still nothing.

because it is empty?

> => If I define a method in this category, monticello browser display the package and merge the extension and the existing category. But the name of the monticello package generated is: 'CAtEGorY. Should'nt it have the name of the smalltalk category instead ?

Even if no package are defined. this is strange I would have thought that we would not get anything if the package is not defined.

> Then about extensions, what are the rule applied to consider a class category as an extension.
> I guess there is
> => no distinctions about the case of the name (*cAteGory should be consider as an extension of Category)

indeed

> => if the name of the class category match with the beginning of an existing package ('*CategorySubCategory should be consider as an extension of Category ?? )
> Is there something more ?

pay attention that you can have multiple package starting with the same name.